At this time of year, most of us at least, consider resolving to make this year better by focusing on or adding goals for the year. Exercising, losing weight or improving our diets are probably the most common goals.
Some of us choose to focus on professional goals. I started working on mine.
1. Publish my first book, “Remade! A preacher finally finds victory over pornography and complaint”, in both print and e-book.
2. Produce a promotional video for each of my seminars.
3. Produce worship videos, mixed with testimony.
4. Give at least 20 seminars this year.
5. Find a corporate sponsor(s) to support the ministry to the military.
As I reflected on these goals I thought “I’m really going to have to stay focused to accomplish all of this”. These are all worthy goals, in fact I consider them work God has purposed me to do. And I’ve been working very hard on the first one all month.
But it suddenly dawned on me that I was forgetting the most important goal for this year or any year – Know God better. I was allowing the urgent to push out the most important. I’ve come to see in recent years that nothing is more important, nothing will affect our lives more towards greatness than knowing God better.
Next time, I’ll lay out the first of my plan to really focus on knowing more about God.